Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pumpkin Light Meltdown

We have this electric pumpkin we have been lighting at night, because it is October and Halloween is just around the corner.  Zach absolutely loves this pumpkin and is one of the main reasons why we have it on display.  So, the other day the light bulb blew out and Zach was not happy.  He started yelling, “The lights out, the lights out.  Fix it! Fix it!”  We did not have a spare bulb in the house and Zach started crying about the fact his pumpkin would not be lit for the night.  He wanted it fixed and he wanted it fixed now.  As much as we tried to explain and redirect him that the light could not be fixed at that very moment he continued to tail spin and spiral into an emotional meltdown. 

Thankfully I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a prescription so I invited Zach to come along and told him we could get a new light bulb.  We arrived at the store and found Zach’s bulb for the pumpkin.  We then were standing in line for my prescription, which seem to take forever.  Zach continued to hold the light bulb package and gripped so tight you would have thought it was the last light bulb available in the world.  Then without any provocation Zach stood next to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said, “I can’t believe it  dad…I can’t believe I cried for some pumpkin lights.”   “No sh*t” I said to myself…and Zach was quiet the rest of the night. 

1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle a bit. because in this case Zach in some ways is no different then any one of us. We all have meltdowns and sometimes it is for the silliest of reasons. And when we look back we wonder why did I get soo upset over something like that.

    ReplyDelete